The GOAL of PowerWest Athletics
To provide the opportunity for every hockey player to reach his or her individual potential in a safe, inspiring, challenging, supportive, and enjoyable environment.
PowerWest Athletics is committed to going into “over-time” to ensure a realistic goal is achieved by every skater on the ice. PowerWest Athletics provides technical skating skill instruction and hockey skill development for hockey players in a motivating, disciplined, safe, and fun environment.
Who do we skate with?
PowerWest Athletics (PWA) provides power skating programs to hockey players ages 4 years and older of all levels of abilities; beginners to professional hockey players.
PWA works with multiple Minor Hockey Associations (MHA), within a recreation department that provides skating services, with individual hockey teams as requested, and works directly with both a Junior B and Junior A Hockey Club.
• West Shore Parks and Recreation Contract for Power Skating Services for both Juan de Fuca and the Q Centre since 2005
• South Island Royals U15, U16, U18 team since 2019
• Skating Coach for the Victoria Grizzlies Junior A Hockey Club since 2006
• Skating Coach for the Victoria Salsa Junior A Hockey Club 2003-2006
• Skating Coach for the West Shore Wolves Junior B Hockey Club since 2017
• Multiple Minor Hockey Associations (MHA) throughout Greater Victoria for their development on ice program options: Saanich MHA, Victoria MHA, Peninsula MHA, Juan de Fuca MHA, Sooke MHA
• Various teams and development programs since 1996.
• Capital Region Female Minor Hockey Association (CRFMHA)
• Multiple MHA teams throughout Greater Victoria when requested
Why is PWR unique in providing Power Skating Services?
• High level of skating instruction competency
• Competent, interactive, well trained coaches – All PWA Coaches participate in annual PWA Coaches Training (8 hours) (see our coaches tab)
• Exceptional organization and customer service skills
• We strive to ensure every child feels like a champion!
• PWA Coaches learn every child’s name, give high fives at the door, and genuinely want to be there… why? Because every PWA coach was once a PWA participant! They acknowledge the value of the service, they experienced the growth of their skills, and they remember how much fun it was to be a part.
• PWA trains participants to be awesome skaters but more importantly, participants to be exceptional people both on and off the ice.
This is important to me.
I am fueled by the energy, inspiration, and motivation of others.
My coaching crew and I, respect children and their innocence and desire to “have fun.” This is THEIR chosen sport…I want them to be passionate about the rink when they are my age and beyond.
I care about people. I want to give back. Creating a safe place for kids, despite their level of play, physical ability, or family income is important to me.
The ice provided me the safety and securities I needed as child, as a teen, as an adult, as a parent, and it continues to be my place of peace.
Lastly, I feel very fortunate and I am eternally grateful for what I am able to provide. I want to share it with others and foster the opportunity to be the best they can be, both on and off the ice.